...because tracking me by blog seems much more sensible than getting a gps inserted under the skin.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Stir Crazy in Haiti



This is where I live. There are walkways on each side of the house that go to a similar area in the back where the clothes are hung to dry. A high cement wall encloses the area.

In case you don't know me, I'm an extremely independent person. I've done a lot of things, and I've done a lot of things alone, and I've done a lot of things alone in a foreign country. No big deal. So honestly, I think the hardest thing about being in Haiti right now is that I can't do anything by myself. I've already discussed that. But it makes you a little stir crazy when you can't leave your front "yard." I can't explain how bizarre it feels to not be able to leave your home because it's not safe. To have barbed wire surrounding your house for security reasons. Did I mention that we have a security guard every night?


As I was taking these photos tonight, I heard people outside of our gate. And then I saw someone standing out there in the slit between the gate and the wall. They just stood there, staring at me. So I said Bonswa, and they said bonswa, and that was it. I'm dying to get out and get to know the neighbors. I feel kind of useless right now when I can't get out to meet people and do what I can to help. Although, that's not completely true. I'm not completely useless. The kids now ask for water instead of demanding it. At least I taught them that :-)



No comments: