...because tracking me by blog seems much more sensible than getting a gps inserted under the skin.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Jet valves, Airborne, and Dora! (oh my....)

[Pictured top to bottom: Kenlie, Ballo, Sarah]
These kids don't need fancy swing sets, a pool, toy kitchen sets, barbies galore, or power wheels to have fun. All it takes is a water bottle with a jet valve. It started out because, well, as much as I love kids, I really didn't want their snotty slobbery mouths sucking on my water bottle. I've accidentally kissed their snotty noses enough to know that. It's asking for trouble. And I've only got so much Airborne with me. So, I turned it upside down over their mouths and give a little squeeze, propelling a short burst of water. I loved little Kenlie's wide eyes waiting for the water. I applauded their courage, not knowing when the powerful squirt
was going to come. Or where it was going to go (in trying to get a photo, I would lose attention to my aim and get their faces...). But that was all part of the fun too. Even little Sarah, the photo at the bottom, wanted to participate. Slowly, she's warming to me. Usually, she sticks close to Mama Sisi, but once in a while, she will come over to me, wanting me to pick her up. I think she must be sick on those days. She's a very particular little girl. She likes things a certain way. For example, Edy's feet. She likes them covered up. If she sees Edy take his shoe and sock off, she will start screaming her head off. Very particular little girl :-)

Another thing that the kids absolutely love is skyping. They've been spoiled with random skype visits. It doesn't matter whether they know you or not, and it doesn't matter that they can't understand what you are saying, or that you can't understand them. It's hugely entertaining, for them and for you. I feel like it's my contribution to culturing them, in connecting them with the outside world. Any part that you would like to take in culturing them as well, I would be happy to facilitate. Not to mention, I'm all in for an adult conversation in English every now and then :-)

A few times in the last few weeks, boy Kenly would start doing this dance and song, and others would soon follow him. Listening carefully, it sounded like he was singing, "Sexy body, sexy body, sexy body." The other day, we were all in the tv room, and he started doing it again. I had Yolette next to me, who is extremely patient and good at figuring out what I am trying to ask her. I was about to ask her where they learned this from, and to explain to her that she probably shouldn't be singing that, when suddenly, Dora came on the tv and started doing the same dance! 'Now this can't be right?! Dora wouldn't sing about a sexy body!?' Then she started singing, "Shake your body! SHAKE your body!" I immediately laughed, and they laughed with me, understanding that I finally understood why they did that song and dance. I also felt stupid, and glad I didn't tell them that they were saying some inappropriate things. They would never trust Dora again.

I'm not gonna lie. I'm excited for a visit to the States. I haven't showered in nearly two weeks, and my toothbrush hasn't had a proper rinsing in a month. Today the mamas asked me if a mosquito had bitten me on the forehead. I felt like a kid (yet again) when I had to explain that no, they are zits. Because I had to leave my facewash in the States. I have to be understanding though. They do look like mosquito bites, and white skin is very revealing of things we wish it wouldn't reveal. And, I'll admit it, I'm excited to wear a sweater. Jeans and a sweatshirt. I have this friend that hails from an extremely warm climate, but now lives in Michigan. She takes every opportunity to criticize the cold weather and tease when she's visiting her warm mother state. I was hoping to be cool like her, and be able to post teasing comments about how it's sooooo warm while it's crazy cold in Michigan. Which, I could do. But as I discovered while living in New York and wanting fiercely to remain a citizen of Michigan, I am a Michiganian through and through, cold weather and all. I miss sweaters. And fall. This is not to say that I don't want to be here. I do. I'm just looking forward to a short jaunt back to Michigan and returning to warm Haiti, where I'm catching up on all the sunshine I didn't get in Buffalo.

No comments: